A hearty and flavorful beef stew is a classic comfort dish that warms both the body and the soul. This recipe combines tender beef, a medley of vegetables, and a rich broth for a satisfying and delicious stew. Here’s how you can make the best ever beef stew:
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Coat Beef in Flour:
- In a bowl, toss the beef stew meat with flour, salt, and black pepper until the meat is coated evenly.
- Sear Beef:
- In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Sear the beef cubes until browned on all sides. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot. Remove the browned beef and set it aside.
- Sauté Onion and Garlic:
- In the same pot, add chopped onions and cook until they are softened. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze with Wine (Optional):
- If using red wine, pour it into the pot to deglaze, scraping up any flavorful bits from the bottom.
- Add Tomato Paste:
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes to remove the raw taste.
- Combine Beef and Broth:
- Return the browned beef to the pot. Pour in the beef broth, and add bay leaves, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a Simmer:
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Cook in the Oven:
- Allow the beef stew to cook in the oven for 2 to 2.5 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.
- Add Vegetables:
- Add the sliced carrots and diced potatoes to the pot. Return the pot to the oven and continue cooking for an additional 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add Peas:
- Stir in the frozen peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Check and Adjust Seasoning:
- Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish and Serve:
- Remove the bay leaves, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and serve the best ever beef stew hot.
- Wine Substitute: If you prefer not to use wine, you can replace it with additional beef broth.
- Make-Ahead: Beef stew often tastes even better the next day. Consider making it ahead of time and reheating for enhanced flavors.
- Vegetable Variations: Feel free to customize the vegetables by adding mushrooms, celery, or other favorites.
This best-ever beef stew is a timeless, comforting dish that’s perfect for chilly days. The slow cooking process allows the flavors to meld together, creating a rich and satisfying meal. Enjoy the aroma and warmth of this classic beef stew!
Credit: Healthy Juice